If your query is, “how do I fix Netflix proxy error?”, here you go. By opting for one of the premium VPNs for Netflix, you can avoid proxy errors in the best manner possible.
Imagine you have a playlist of your favorite shows ready, but soon after you visit Netflix, you get this error message on your screen:
“Whoops, something went wrong. Streaming error. You seem to be using a proxy unblocker. Please turn off any of these services and try again.”
This nuisance is commonly known as Netflix Proxy Error. However, we have a solution for avoiding this annoyance. Just get ExpressVPN and enjoy Netflix streaming from anywhere without any restrictions.
Your IP address can cause Netflix errors, especially if you are using a VPN service that Netflix has blocked. If Netflix detects VPN, you will be presented with the proxy error. Check out the recommended solutions.
That’s why we advise the users to go for the premium service recommended in our list of the best VPNs for Netflix.
What is Netflix Proxy Error?
Netflix proxy error is message by the platform telling that a VPN, proxy, or an unblocker service is being used to access Netflix. It is displayed in the video player and sometimes accompanied by code M7111-5059.
To avoid seeing such error messages, you must learn how to use VPNs with Netflix securely. In this way, you can stream multiple libraries of Netflix from anywhere in the world.
Note: Look for different types of proxy errors that can occur while you are streaming your favorite shows on Netflix and fix them instantly. Some of these errors include NW-2-5, M7111-5059, and M7361-1253, which won’t let you enjoy American Netflix.
What are the Top 3 VPNs for Fixing Netflix Proxy Error?
The criteria for selecting the best VPNs for fixing Netflix proxy error was the number of servers offered by the VPN service. A larger server network means the IPs are less likely to get detected and blacklisted by Netflix, hence the chances of getting the proxy error decrease.
Here are the top 3 VPNs to get around the Netflix proxy error:
1. ExpressVPN – The Best VPN to Fix Netflix Proxy Error
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for fixing the Netflix proxy error because of its impenetrable AES-256-bit encryption standard. It does not drop your connection speed and ensures secure streaming.
Since ExpressVPN offers over 3000+ servers in 90+ countries, with 24 server locations in USA, there are higher chances of connecting to a server that Netflix has not blocked.
Such a large pool of available servers means you will not get interrupted by a proxy error often. More than that, you can instantly access every Netflix library with highly advanced VPN protocols like OpenVPN, PPTP, and L2RP/IPsec.
ExpressVPN offers extremely fast speeds for streaming Netflix movies and shows in Ultra HD quality without any issues.
We ran a speed test on a 100 Mbps base connection and ExpressVPN recorded a download speed of 89.38 Mbps with an upload speed of 84.66 Mbps. With such a fast speed, Express servers don’t affect your streaming experience.
The Best ExpressVPN Servers to Avoid Netflix Proxy Error
The upload and download speeds are extremely crucial while using a VPN because it affects your streaming experience. Users do not like buffering and waiting for their favorite show to load.
Best VPN servers of ExpressVPN to fix Netflix proxy error:
|Canada – Toronto||87.8 Mbps||Ultra HD|
|US – New York||89.38 Mbps||Ultra HD|
|UK -London||89.8 Mbps||Ultra HD|
ExpressVPN is rated highly owing to its fast speeds, superb unblocking ability, and security features. It is no doubt a great choice for bypassing Netflix proxy error.
For more information on ExpressVPN’s performance with Netflix, check out our detailed guide!
- 24/7 live chat
- Consistent connection speed
- Exceptional device compatibility
- Reliable user experience
- Massive selection of servers
- Slightly challenging for new users
2. NordVPN – Fix Proxy Error with Large Number of Servers Available
5500+ servers in 59 countries with 1970+ servers in 15 USA locations ensure that you can find a server not blocked by Netflix and won’t get the proxy error. NordVPN can quickly help you fix the geo-restriction barrier of Netflix.
Either you can select the server location manually or automatically connect to the fastest server – the choice is yours. There will be minimum chances of NordVPN Netflix proxy error.
NordVPN utilizes SmartPlay technology to help the users bypass geo-restriction of the majority of the treating sites.
The streaming content is blocked immediately by a kill switch if the VPN connection drops so there will be no incident of Netflix proxy error.
We conducted a speed test using NordVPN on a base connection speed of 100 Mbps. After connecting to NordVPN’s Denver server, we got a download speed of 88.87 Mbps. It was more than enough for a smooth and enjoyable streaming experience.
The Best NordVPN Servers to Avoid Netflix Proxy Error
Though NordVPN offers multiple servers making it the best VPN to watch Netflix, here are the best servers to connect to:
|US – Denver #8814||88.87 Mbps||Ultra HD|
|Canada – #1542||85.6 Mbps||Ultra HD|
|UK – #807, #1484||90.3 Mbps||Ultra HD|
As NordVPN was able to unblock major Netflix libraries without encountering the proxy error and provide a streaming experience without buffering, it is rated high.
For more information on NordVPN’s performance with Netflix, check out our detailed guide!
- Largest server network
- More than 95 percent of servers work with Netflix
- Exceptional user experience
- Optimized servers
- Not quite mobile-friendly
3. Surfshark – Fix Netflix Proxy Error in Limited Budget
Surfshark is the most cost-effective option to fix the Netflix proxy error that comes at a price of US$2.49/mo .
With the expansive collection of over 3200+ servers operating in around 95 countries, and 600+ servers in 25 cities in USA, the chances of getting the proxy error are extremely low.
You can simply choose a location with a single tap and there will be lower chances of Surfshark Netflix proxy error.
The unique “No Order” feature is excellent for overcoming internet restrictions while hiding with the “Camouflage“ mode.
Surfshark offers unlimited simultaneous device connections that let you enjoy Netflix on a range of devices and platforms, including Windows, Mac, iPad, Kodi, Roku, Amazon Firestick, Laptops, and gaming consoles.
The standard internet speed is 100 Mbps. After connecting to Surfshark’s – Watertown NY server, we got a download speed of 80.72 Mbps and an upload speed of 50.62 Mbps. As the difference is negligible, it does not affect the streaming experience negatively.
The Best Surfshark Servers to Avoid Netflix Proxy Error
Though there is no shortage of servers on Surfshark, here are the best servers to connect to:
|Watertown||80.72 Mbps||Ultra HD|
|Houston||83.9 Mbps||Ultra HD|
|London||80.5 Mbps||Ultra HD|
Surfshark is rated high due to its ability to unblock major libraries at high speed without getting detected by Netflix. In addition, Surfshark is a highly affordable VPN service.
For more information on Surfshark’s performance with Netflix, check out our detailed guide!
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Live chat support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Occasional connection glitches
Our Criteria to Choose the best VPN to Fix Netflix Proxy Error
By now you must be well aware of the fact that not all VPNs are capable of unblocking Netflix. We only added the VPNs that 100% work with Netflix and can be used to bypass the Netflix proxy error easily. Here’s what to look for in a VPN:
- Worldwide servers: As Netflix is available in over 190 countries, it is best if the VPN you choose offers servers in many locations so you can unblock all popular libraries.
- Fast speeds: To stream Netflix in 4K, you need at least 25 Mbps speed. The three VPNs mentioned above offer fast speeds with unlimited bandwidth so you can stream as much as you want without buffering.
- Unblocking power: We also made sure to add the VPNs to our list which work with other streaming services that are geo-restricted like BBC iPlayer, Disney Plus, and others.
- Security: If you want to access Netflix securely without getting detected, you need a VPN that offers 256-bit encryption, IP leak protection, and a kill switch.
- Privacy: It’s best if the VPN you choose offers a strict no-logs policy with full anonymity so you can achieve online anonymity.
- Device compatibility: Netflix has apps for various devices, so it’s only natural that the VPN you choose must also offer easy-to-use apps for different devices with advanced features.
- Value for money: All the VPNs mentioned above come with a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can give it a try risk-free.
Best VPN not able to fix Netflix Proxy Error – Solutions
Even if the best VPN gives you a Netflix VPN error, try connecting to a different server location and clearing your browser cookies/cache. You can try these simple fixes to resolve the Netflix proxy error:
- Ensure your VPN’s capability to bypass Netflix proxy error: Despite signing up for a premium VPN, you may face the proxy error on Netflix. So, ensure that your VPN is capable of smoothly bypassing the Netflix location-detection bots.
- Reconnect your VPN: More often than not, simply disconnecting and connecting to the VPN again can resolve the proxy error on Netflix. Therefore, try to reconnect to the VPN and access Netflix easily.
- Switch to a different VPN server: If a VPN offers multiple servers in countries, then switching to a different VPN server can help you get around the proxy error. Keep trying different alternatives till you finally access Netflix with an effective VPN server.
- Use a dedicated IP: Many VPNs offer dedicated IP addresses to the users. This lets you access Netflix with your own unique IP, hence it gets harder for the system to identify that you are using a VPN IP. Using a dedicated IP means your IP is less likely to get blacklisted.
- Make sure your network allows streaming: You can simply contact your network administrator to confirm this. If a VPN offers obfuscation, then the chances of facing a Netflix proxy error decrease.
- Update the software: Make sure that you are using the updated version of your VPN. Sometimes, simply updating the software can fix the Netflix proxy error.
- Use a different browser: If you’re using Safari and cannot access Netflix, then consider switching to Firefox or Google Chrome. During my tests, simply using a different browser fixed the Netflix error several times.
- Clear the cache: Sometimes, the stored cookies reveal your actual IP address to Netflix. In this case, it’s advisable to clear the browser cookies and cache, then try using Netflix.
- Try the incognito window: When you use the incognito window, your browsing history and site data is not stored. Therefore, you should use Netflix in an incognito window.
- Disable WebRTC: You can disable WebRTC by going to Advanced settings under Safari. If you’re using Chrome, then download the WebRTC control extension. Disabling WebRTC improves your web app performance.
- Check if you’re connected to the Wi-Fi extender: Using a Wi-Fi extender may be the cause behind the Netflix proxy error as its DNS data may be revealing your actual location. To fix, configure the settings or set up the VPN on your router.
- Utilize smart DNS proxy: You can use a proxy server to reroute your traffic. Simply change the DNS address of your device to the Netflix region you want to access, and stream Netflix without leaking your real IP address.
- Check for IP/DNS leaks: If your IP or DNS is leaked, then you will get the Netflix proxy error. Therefore, you should check multiple times and see that neither your DNS nor the IP address gets leaked.
How Does Netflix Proxy Error Work?
Netflix proxy error works by displaying an error to the user when they are using a VPN or proxy server to watch a video.
Though Netflix does not share the approach it uses to ban VPNs and introduce Netflix unblocker or proxy error, our testing results support the following means.
Blacklisting the Proxy/VPN Services
An IP address is the online identity of the user and the same is the case for public IP addresses. They correspond to specific countries and are visible on the web.
When you connect to a VPN server, your public IP address is replaced by the proxy server. Netflix bans the VPN server’s IP rendering the server useless.
As server IP is used by multiple users, it becomes easier for Netflix to identify the server IP as a proxy. Netflix targets proxy ranges that are hosted by proxy servers on data centers and screen them as non-residential networks.
DNS (Domain Name System) Filtering
Netflix has the needed technology to identify the proxies and VPN when they are used by DNS. DNS or Domain Name System associates IP addresses with the domain name.
When you go to the website of Netflix, your web browser forwards a DS request to a DNS server. The DNS server searches the IP address and returns it to your device and fetches the video from Netflix sever.
Netflix control which DNS server is used in this transaction. Your DNS server belongs to your regional Internet Service Provider and reflects your location.
Most of the VPN services reroute the web traffic but not the DNS traffic, when this mismatch is identified by Netflix, it knows that you are using proxy servers and throw the error.
Premium VPN services reroute your internet traffic along with the DNS traffic so there is no mismatch for Netflix to identify.
Why Netflix Ban Proxies?
Netflix puts a ban on proxies to enforce its media distribution and copyright agreements. A user will see a proxy error even if they connect to a proxy service or a VPN server in their own country.
The streaming giant, Netflix, is operating in almost 190 countries with different copyright laws. Netflix has to follow these copyright laws to prevent any lawsuits involving copyright breaches.
As VPNs are considered to unblock foreign libraries, they are regarded as the tools for breaching copyright laws. As the content streamed on Netflix is not produced by Netflix, its streaming rights are not exclusive to Netflix.
These are the main reasons why Netflix ban proxies and wants the users to stick to the content available in their region.
How Do VPNs and Proxies Work with Netflix?
A VPN encrypts internet traffic and sends it via a middleman server in the user’s preferred location. You may access the internet as if you were physically situated in the United States by connecting to a VPN in the US.
A VPN comes in the form of a desktop or mobile software for the ordinary Netflix customer, and it normally costs a minimal monthly subscription. The majority of VPNs that can consistently access Netflix do so without disclosing how they do it. However, we can deduce how they do it.
Because most data center IP addresses are blacklisted by Netflix, VPN companies put up a few servers using residential IP addresses.
These IPs aren’t on Netflix’s radar, so banning them may prevent some non-proxy users from seeing videos. If a home IP is blocked by Netflix, the VPN provider simply replaces it with the next one in line.
A few VPNs have also been able to compel the Netflix app to utilize their DNS servers rather than local ones. As a result, Netflix won’t be able to tell if the user is using a VPN to watch videos.
Smart DNS Proxy and Netflix Proxy Error
A smart DNS proxy is a creative technique to only utilize a proxy when specific websites, applications, and services require it. It’s normally set up in the network settings section of your device’s DNS settings. DNS proxies, like VPNs, may need a monthly fee.
The domain name system (DNS) is similar to a phone book for the internet. Smart DNS modifies phone book entries for certain domains like “netflix.com.”
Any request for Netflix on a Smart DNS proxy directs the user’s traffic to a proxy server in the United States instead of Netflix’s IP address.
These proxy servers are likely to utilize household IP addresses instead of commercial data center IP addresses to get over Netflix’s firewall.
Can Free VPN Unblock Netflix Libraries without Proxy Error?
There are a few free VPNs for Netflix that can unblock a foreign Netflix library but not all the time. You can use Windscribe, ProtonVPN, or OperaVPN, but there is another option to get the best VPN service for free.
I am talking about the free trials offered by premium VPN services such as ExpressVPN, NordVPN, and Surfshark.
You can enjoy these VPNs for free for a month and then cancel the subscription before the month ends.
FAQs | Netflix Proxy Error
How do I bypass a proxy block on Netflix?
Will Netflix ban me if I keep using proxies or a VPN?
Is it illegal to use a VPN with Netflix?
Why is Netflix saying I am using a proxy when I am not?
It is because your actual IP address is closer to the range of proxy addresses. You can fix this by connecting to a reliable VPN service like ExpressVPN whenever you open the Netflix. A VPN will allow you to get rid of the Netflix proxy error.
Using a VPN to stream your favorite show on a Netflix library of another country is not illegal, but you have to be smart about it.
However, it solely depends on the VPN you are selecting due to the Netflix proxy-detected message. When you sign up for a premium VPN, you can easily get around Netflix’s error codes like NW-3-6, UI3012, H7354-1003, M7111-1331-5067, and M7111-1331-5059.
Free VPNs usually fail to meet their claims, thus we recommend leveraging the uber-fast connection speeds and 30-day money-back guarantee of ExpressVPN.
Make your life easier by choosing a trustworthy VPN service that can help you hop regions without the nuisance of a Netflix proxy error. Happy streaming!